Is your roof ready for the fall? Here are 10 great tips that will help make sure your roof can weather the next big storm.
A well-built roof can withstand most strong storms, but as you have probably seen over the past 12 months, here in Ottawa, we get storms that don’t compare to most places. Whether it’s 100km/h winds during a -30C blizzard during the winter or tornadoes like we saw last summer, even the best roofs can be at the mercy of Mother Nature. Here are the top 10 things for you to look for when inspecting your roof.
- The first thing to look for is loose or missing shingles. These are relatively easy to spot, but even one out-of-place shingle can spell disaster for your home.
- Ridge caps and vents can become loose during a good storm. It’s important to check and make sure these are tight and that all seals are in good shape.
- Be sure to clear your roof of fallen debris or broken tree limbs. They might seem harmless but they can occasionally become lodged between shingles and act as a pry bar or even worse, they can fall down onto cars, pets or even other people.
- Be certain that all gutters are clean and check to see if they are in good shape.
- Check all of your vent covers to be sure there are no signs of cracking or damage.
- Take a close look at your skylights or solar tubes to be sure the seals are still in good shape. Also, keep an eye out for condensation buildup which is an early sign that something isn’t right .
- If your home is equipped with a roof-mounted air-conditioning unit, make sure no fallen debris has damaged the unit and that the water lines are still properly connected.
- Pop your head into the attic and look for signs of light protrusions within the plywood.
- Any flat roof should be inspected regularly to be sure that all drains are clear of debris and are showing no signs of water pooling.
- Homes with solar panels need to be routinely inspected for damage and cleared of debris.
The Smart Choice in Flat Roofing
For the past decade Rydel Roofing has been helping with flat roofing repairs, replacements and new installations. Our commitment to customers goes well beyond the leading tools, techniques, craftsmanship and standards we employ. From the moment you call us to when we shake hands on a completed project we are all about offering service at the highest level.
Choose Your Package
Don’t Take Our Word For It
What People Said
I contacted Rydel Roofing to do a roof inspection. The entire experience has been very refreshing and professional. I had Shylo in the office ask all the right questions which helped me build so much confidence in the company.
– Kevin Khalaf
Trusted by the pros
The peace of mind that comes with ongoing maintenance
Learn more about how our ongoing maintenance program works. We take on the responsibility of inspecting your roof regularly, reporting our findings back, and working to extend the life of the roof.
Choose a company that has the ability to support your ongoing needs and has the right insurance and the best certifications.
Avoid needing early roof replacement.
A roof’s lifetime is shortened by 30% when no preventative maintenance is performed.
Cut Down Replacement Costs
Clients under our flat roof maintenance program receive a labour discount on any future work.
Comprehensive Roof Management
We take the responsibility of protecting your roof off of your hands allowing you to focus on other jobs that are important for the success of your business.
We pledge to you, our customer, that you will be getting the best quality job at the fairest price available. We are a locally owned and operated Ottawa based company with skilled workers who take pride in every aspect of every job we complete. We are Fully Insured and all employees are fully covered by the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB).
We provide 24/7 Emergency Repair service for EPDM, BUR, TPO and SBS allowing you peace of mind to know that if anything should ever happen we have you covered to be there and minimize any damage.