OLDER ROOFS SHOULD GET AN ANNUAL INSPECTION
Consider these steps to protect your roof:
The roof that covers and protects your family isn’t necessarily the most exciting feature of your home but it is arguably the most important and often overlooked. For some homeowners, it’s hard to know when to replace or repair a roof, which means it usually gets put off until it’s too late. Even a small leak can cause major damage to the interior of your home, resulting in preventable and unnecessary bills. If you aren’t sure or are simply curious about the condition of your roof, here are a few great home maintenance tips that might help prevent a roofing disaster in your home.
- Review your home improvement records. Figure out when your roof was installed and or repaired. The lifespan of most fibreglass shingles is between 15-20 years and the lifespan of an organic shingle is between 8-13 years. That said, there is nothing average about the climate here in Ottawa. Along with the dramatic changes in temperature, humidity, high winds, hail storms, snow and ice comes a shorter life expectancy for shingle roofs.
- If your roof is older than 10 years or if you are curious about its condition, the best place to start your roof inspection is in the attic. On a sunny day, climb into your attic and search for signs of light beaming through the cracks or holes in the plywood. Additionally, look for signs of water stains, watermarks or streaks that could indicate previous leaks in your roof.
- The second stage of a thorough roof inspection involves getting on top of your home and checking the shingles themselves. It is highly inadvisable to climb onto a roof without proper safety equipment, including harnesses, ladders and footwear. Even better, call your local roofing professionals, who often provide sound inspections at a relatively low cost.
- Look out for shingles that are curled, cracking, showing granule wear or heavy moss growth. These are all telltale signs that your roof needs to be replaced.
- Ottawa’s hot summers and cold winters mean that metal flashing and the seals or fasteners that keep water out are constantly expanding and contracting. Over time, this will cause seals to dry out and crack, fasteners to loosen and the bottom-flashing flange to lift. These can be re-sealed using IKO Cold Gold Flashing Adhesive or a similar roofing product. Not sure where to start? Get an introduction to roofing, check out our step-by-step roof repair guide or have the certified professional roof repair team here at Rydel inspect and repair your roof.
- The valleys of your roof allow for rain and snow to flow down into the gutters and eavestroughs of your home. Check these for signs of shingle granule buildup and general deterioration.
- Pay attention to the roofline of your home. Noticeable sagging or flexibility in your roof could be a sure sign that your roof is attracting inner or trapped moisture and the underlay has been compromised. Surface signs of trapped moisture include rotting boards, sagging areas or a spongy feel while walking on your roof.
Keep a close eye out for any of these indicators as mould or bacteria can grow in under 48 hours of the first water-related issue and never hesitate to call the pros at Rydel Roofing in Ottawa for professional roof repairs in Ottawa and free advice!
The Smart Choice in Flat Roofing
For the past decade Rydel Roofing has been helping with flat roofing repairs, replacements and new installations. Our commitment to customers goes well beyond the leading tools, techniques, craftsmanship and standards we employ. From the moment you call us to when we shake hands on a completed project we are all about offering service at the highest level.
Choose Your Package
Our Team Goes Above and Beyond For Our Clients
Don’t Take Our Word For It
What People Said
I contacted Rydel Roofing to do a roof inspection. The entire experience has been very refreshing and professional. I had Shylo in the office ask all the right questions which helped me build so much confidence in the company.
– Kevin Khalaf
Trusted by the pros
The peace of mind that comes with ongoing maintenance
Learn more about how our ongoing maintenance program works. We take on the responsibility of inspecting your roof regularly, reporting our findings back, and working to extend the life of the roof.
Choose a company that has the ability to support your ongoing needs and has the right insurance and the best certifications.
Avoid needing early roof replacement.
A roof’s lifetime is shortened by 30% when no preventative maintenance is performed.
Cut Down Replacement Costs
Clients under our flat roof maintenance program receive a labour discount on any future work.
Comprehensive Roof Management
We take the responsibility of protecting your roof off of your hands allowing you to focus on other jobs that are important for the success of your business.
We pledge to you, our customer, that you will be getting the best quality job at the fairest price available. We are a locally owned and operated Ottawa based company with skilled workers who take pride in every aspect of every job we complete. We are Fully Insured and all employees are fully covered by the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB).
We provide 24/7 Emergency Repair service for EPDM, BUR, TPO and SBS allowing you peace of mind to know that if anything should ever happen we have you covered to be there and minimize any damage.